[Avodah] Story details

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 19:35:11 PST 2021

.
Regarding Bereshis 37:18, I asked:

> How far away was Yosef when they saw him and recognized him? Exactly
*how* did
> they recognize him? One possibility is that Yosef was close enough for
them to
> see the details of this stranger's face, but in that case, how was there
enough
> time for them to formulate their plan? (It is clear from the pasuk that
the
> planning was done in the time between seeing him and getting close.) Was
Yosef
> carrying a large flag with his name on it?

For the benefit of anyone else who might have been pondering this question,
I got the same answer this morning from two different people; first from my
friend Andrew Kent at kiddush, and then from my granddaughter Shulamis
Miller at lunch. Namely: If Yosef was wearing the k'sones passim, the
brothers would probably have been able to recognize him even at a great
distance.

Akiva Miller