[Avodah] aveil daven on rosh chodesh

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 17 13:11:50 PST 2021

On 17/11/21 1:19 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> The question was a case where the gabbai asserted the minhag RJR
> described, but the avel's rav said he should take all of Shacharis. So,
> a second piece -- who do you follow?

I had the opposite question arise.  My minhag is that an avel does not
go to the amud on any day where there is musaf.  One rosh chodesh during
my aveilus I davened mincha at a certain shul and the gabbai, knowing
that I was an avel, asked me to take the amud, saying that it was the
minhag of that shul to allow it. My question was whether the minhag of
not going is about the avel or the tzibur (gavra or cheftza?).  Is it
the avel who doesn't go, or the tzibur who don't allow him?  The rav to
whom I asked all my aveilus shaylos answered that it's about the avel,
so I shouldn't go even if asked.

[Email #2. -micha]

On 17/11/21 1:26 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> The implication I got from the Rama is that the problem with an avel
> taking the amud on R"Ch is Hallel. Which rules out being the Chazan
> for Shemoneh Esrei too. But there is still Chatzi Qaddish...

It doesn't preclude Shemoneh Esrei.    The minhag I am most familiar
with is that on Chanukah (except Rosh Chodesh and Shabbos) an avel does
go to the amud for Shacharis but steps aside for Hallel and returns for
the kaddish.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 5782