[Avodah] praying for one to die

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 20 06:43:32 PDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:34pm GMT, RJR wrote:
> Praying for one in excruciating pain to die has some halachic
> underpinning. Others suggest one simply pray for HKB"H to do what's
> best for the individual. Why isn't this what we should pray for in
> any situation?

My reply of Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:43am EDT began:
> The case I usually hear cited is that of Rebbe (Kesuvos 104a). The
> Rabbanan pray for his health, his maid prays that he die, and the RBSO
> listens to her. RMF (IM CM 2:73(a)) uses it to conclude that there
> are situations where praying for an easy death is preferable, and even
> times when physical measures to extend life are inappropriate.

More recently, I started wondering:

Why would the IM (and others) assume we hold like the maid and not the
chakhamim? If you're going to say that the fact that R Yehudah haNasi
did indeed die shows the pesaq of beis din shel ma'alah, what does that
say about "lo baShamayim hi"?

RMF invokes the concept of LbSH in the haqdamah (vol 1), and OC 1:14, 15.