[Avodah] The Difference Between Davening and Learning

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 7 11:55:31 PDT 2021

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 10:53:03AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> > RYBS described the siddur as a project that was begun by Anshei Keneses
> > haGdolah because as we lost nevu'ah, we needed a new way to maintain the
> > dialog with the Almighty.
>
> Was he implying that people did not daven when there was nevu'ah?  If so,
> then I do not think that this is correct...

AIUI, RYBS was saying there was no siddur, no liturgical prayer, until
Anshei Keneses haGdolah. In the Gra's parlance, there were tachanunim,
but no tefillos. (Or: ba'ushon dekhol Beis Yisrael, but not tzelosehon.)

With the loss of prophecy, we need something else for Hashem's voice.

To give my own mashal.... If the boss is speaking at a meeating, he controls
the meeting's agenda by chosing what to say. But if you're the one speaking
at the meeting, he may have his administrative assistant send you a desired
intinerary for the meeting.

Chodesh Tov!

PS: Speaking of baqashos... My chavrusah,
    Yaakov David Daniel ben Sarah Rivka
is receiving a kidney as I am type this. Please daven for his recovery.
Please also daven for his son
    Aryeh Moshe ben Sarah Rivah (no quf)
-- the donor.

My first reaction when R Yaakov gave me his son's name was "What exactly
is there I can add compared to the zekhus of donating a kidney for one's
father?" Then I remembered, nebich, the poor boy Rav Elisha ben Avuyah
saw... Can't make cheshbonos. Gotta daven.

--
Micha Berger                 Take time,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   be exact,
Author: Widen Your Tent      unclutter the mind.