[Avodah] 2 gemaras

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Oct 6 12:01:13 PDT 2021

On Tue, Oct 05, 2021 at 08:58:18PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Bava Batra 60b seems to imply (by the comparable reactions) that the
> destruction of the temple was not as bad as the harsh decrees of Rome
> (against torah study and mitzvot.)

I don't see how you make the deduction. The reavtions are topical --
the loss of qorbanos and nesachim in Hashem's house caused a negative
reaction toward enjoying meat and wine in our own. Whereas not being
able to keep mitzvos critical to raising children to be observant led
to a lack of desire to marry and have children.

> Brachot 58B says a dead person is not forgotten from the heart for 12
> months whereas Moed Katan 8b says 30 days. How do omnisignificers deal
> with this?

In Berakhos, Rav says 12 months right after R Yehoshua ben Levi said
that one says shehechiyanu after 30 days and mechayeh hameisim after
12 months. The two time spans are being contrasted, it seems. There is
/something/ being marked at 30 days, but it's the 12 month mark that
is called "mishtakeiach min haleiv". (Which does gives weight to Zev's
explanation.)

Also, looking at Rav's source pasuq, forgotten from the heart is "like
a lost keli". Which ties it to yei'ush on a davar shene'evad (BM 28a,
82a) and an entirely different area of halakah. And, interesting enough,
that too has a din tied to 30 days: one needs to announce finding the
item for 30 days.

So maybe we could suggest: Nishkach min haleiv at 30 days is if no one
brings up the subject, whereas one's ears stop pricking up at oblique
mentions at 1 year.

Chodesh Tov!

Micha Berger                 Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and it flies away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter