[Avodah] Sistine chapel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 5 14:03:36 PDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 03:56:58PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> I know there were some tours under Jewish that travel there. Is anyone
> aware of any published opinions that allow entering it?

According to Tzeidah laDerekh 78:9 it is prohibited because it is still
a functioning church. Unlike much of the Vatican complex open to the public,
where the primary function is more like a museum.

When R/Dr David Berger was invited to the Vatican, RYBS pasqened something
similar.

NCSY has a nice packet on the subject at
https://staff.ncsy.org/education/education/material/qkXQWVDAaO/touring-the-vatican-and-viewing-its-artwork/
E.g. I learned that RMSternbuch (Teshuvos veHanagos 2:410) would allow my
voting in a church room that wasn't the sanctuary, whereas RMF (IM OC 4:40)
would apparently not.

Micha Berger                 A cheerful disposition is an inestimable treasure.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   It preserves health, promotes convalescence,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and helps us cope with adversity.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF       - R' SR Hirsch, "From the Wisdom of Mishlei"