[Avodah] Scholarly article on one Rashi in Bereshis

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 5 07:29:40 PDT 2021

On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 03:54:48PM +0200, torahmike wrote:
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/4131671

> To summarize, it became a big debate among commentators, partly influenced
> by non-Jewish criticism, whether to take this Rashi literally. Chizkuni and
> others clearly understood it literally, while Maharshal and others took the
> opposite approach.

RGS discussed this same article on TM
<https://www.torahmusings.com/2007/10/adams-mating-with-animals>.

I commented then that I think Lawee is not taking care to distinguish
between those commentators that understood Rashi as talking historically,
and those who wrote in the same language as Rashi. For example, the
Mizrachi <https://www.sefaria.org/Mizrachi%2C_Genesis.4.1.1> may be
elaborating how well the the medrash Rashi cites fits more of the story,
analyzing it within its own terms. And the whole question of whether
the medrash created the metaphor or it is a bit of history with symbolic
content has nothing to do with the Mizrachi's analysis.

Micha Berger                 There's only one corner of the universe
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   you can be certain of improving,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and that's your own self.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    	    - Aldous Huxley