[Avodah] Which foods should one avoid eating on Rosh Hashana?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Sep 3 08:10:45 PDT 2021

On 1/9/21 8:11 am, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> it is customary to avoid bitter and vinegary foods on Rosh Hashana (see,
> for example, Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 129:9).

KSA does indeed say that, but I am not aware of any earlier source for
avoiding "bitter and vinegary foods"; every source I've seen says
"vinegar".   The point of avoiding vinegar is *not* that it tastes sour,
it's that it's a siman kelala, to the extent that there is an opinion in
the mishna that one can not say a bracha on it.  *That* is what we are
trying to avoid on RH.  Lately I have been happy to see products like
chrain produced especially for RH without vinegar.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone health, wealth, and
zev at sero.name       happiness in 5782