[Avodah] Lace top sheitel thoughts

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 30 12:34:00 PDT 2021

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 08:43:24PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> When I first heard of the issue I assumed that those who prohibited were
> doing it on a meta halachic tzniut basis...

I think the machloqes could be lined up leshitasam with allowing mechitzos
that are only 10 tefachim, or some other height that doesn't block the view.

> I would however add some food for thought about making a technical
> argument that it's not technically prohibited. Some might say we are
> trying to have it both ways. When we see a result that we don't like based
> on a technical argument that's not prohibited we make the meta argument
> (e.g. women's prayer groups) , however when we like the result of the
> technical we leave it as is (e.g. lace tops)

I have made a similar argument that methodology has to be consistent some
years ago.

At the time, it seems we had a vocal contingent advocating two positions
at the same time:

- Married women don't really need to cover their hair. It must be
  das Yehudis or something. But we know from practical tradition, that
  many in Eastern Europe felt the obligation wasn't binding.

- We should be opening up ordination to women. While we never done
  so before, there is not technical legal reason for it.

But to me it seems like they were whittling away the wood from both
sides.

Micha Berger                 One doesn't learn mussar to be a tzaddik,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but to become a tzaddik.
Author: Widen Your Tent                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF