[Avodah] What is the preferable time to say selichos?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 27 14:18:03 PDT 2021

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 03:48:55PM -0400, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> BTW,  who says that the way sefardim or temanim pronounce Hebrew is the
> correct way?

> As a fan of all things Ashkenaz,  I suggest that the Ashkenaz pronunciation
> is preferable and probably correct. It has the difference between beis and
> veis, sof and tof!

Who said there is one correct way? Even back in seifer Shofetim different
shevatim had different accents. As we know, in Efraim's accent shin
and sin have the same sound.

It seems that what's "right" is to have regional accents and natural
evolution.
Ask Kaleiv BEN Yefuneh and Yehoshua BIN Nun.

In any case, Teimanim also distinguish between beis and veis, sov and
thov, and for that matter, thov and sin / samech! If having the most
distinct sounds for dinstinct letters and vowels is the criterion,
they win.

Interesting also, the Litvisher choelem is found in Yemen as well.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 When you come to a place of darkness,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
Author: Widen Your Tent      You light a candle.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF      - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l