[Avodah] Deuteronomy 22:17

Jay F. Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Fri Aug 20 13:55:50 PDT 2021

> Specifically, it [TSBP] says that "ve'eileh besulei biti" does *not*
> refer to "bloody sheets" or whatever, but to witnesses who refute
> the husband's witnesses.

Yet another case of a contributor to this mailing list making an
unqualified statement that should be qualified.  Please stop doing
that.

Our Sages said a lot of different things, and they said a lot of
contradictory things (sometimes they even contradicted themselves,
even the greatest of them, as I pointed out in a recent posting).
Read Ramban on Deuteronomy 22:17.  He disagrees with Rashi, he says
that the verse means, literally, a bloody sheet, and he gives better
and more authoritative sources than Rashi.

                        Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter
                        6424 North Whipple Street
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"