[Avodah] Do I need to make sure to write a Pruzbul before Rosh Hashanah?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 17 13:59:40 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 07:56:01PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 16/8/21 4:42 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> Like the people who buy 4 amos x 4 amos of land in EY just so that they
>> can get a mitzvah for not working it next year. Of course, you wouldn't
>> have gone to the plot to work it anyway.

> You wouldn't have personally gone, but the other six years the farmer in
> whose field your plot lies does work it on your behalf, together with the
> whole field.  On shemita he doesn't.

Doesn't really touch the broader idea. Are you going to make money
the years the farmer works? What did you give up for shemittah in
particular? Unlike the parting with money of buying a plot in EY, the
shemittah part is really effort free. Like the sekhar one could get for
not stealing something they aren't interested in.

If lefum tzaarah agra, how much berakhah will one get for a mitzvah that
involves no effort or tzaar?

So I still see it more a commitment to yishuv haaretz than to shemittah.

Micha Berger                 Every child comes with the message
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   that God is not yet discouraged with
Author: Widen Your Tent      humanity.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Rabindranath Tagore