[Avodah] Escorting the Queen

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 30 10:20:56 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 07:34:53PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I would like to suggest that the essence of Motzaei Shabbos' identity is
> *not* its relation to the Shabbos that just ended, but its relation to the
> week that is now beginning. More specifically, Motzaei Shabbos is the
> anniversary of the creation of light, the anniversary of Creation
> altogether.

May I suggest a variant, and one that links it to my comment of 2014:
>> "Sheishes yamim ta'avod ve'asisa kol melkhatekha,
>> veyom hashevi'i Shabbos Lashem E-lokekha."
>> Working during the rest of the week is part of what
>> Shabbos is about.

Rabbi Yosi (Pesachim 43a):
    ... On Motza'ei Shabbos HQBH gave dei'ah into Adam haRishan, me'ein
    dugma of the [dei'ah] from above, and [Adam] brought two stones and
    rubbed them one on the other, and fire came out of them...

And this is given as an answer to the discussion that starts with the
assertion that only Havdalah after Shabbos should include a berakhah
on aish.

So, perhaps Melaveh Malka is about Motza"Sh as the anniversary of the
invention of fire, and thus of technology, and of "sheieshes yamim ta'avod
ve'asiso kol melakhtekha". Especially since "melakhtekha" is specifically
being used for its connotation of creative work, as per melakhos Shabbos
(at least, deOraisa).

And thus, both about the start of the world, as you wish, without
canceling the connection to "sheishes yamim ta'avod" as I apparently
wanted to 7 years ago.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
Author: Widen Your Tent      beyond measure
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Anonymous