[Avodah] changes in circumstances

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 5 02:44:07 PDT 2021

R' Yoel Rich reported:
<<Rough translation (after story of how some ignored chalav akum rules and
then found out they had drunk basar vchalav cooked concoction ?they all
fell on their faces due to their great sin that they ate treif and basar
vchalav and they cried out how great are the words of the sages, and
truthfully thus I received that all the Sages enactments in addition to the
revealed reasons there are many other hidden reasons that they did not
reveal and he who listens will carry a blessing[and specifically I heard
that in America there are many of the nations who drink pigs milk because
there are many of them there]
Me-so how can we ever take into account changes in circumstances (e.g.
Rabbeinu Tam on klei shir or how we skirt medicine on shabbat rules)
Research opportunity-pig milk consumption in the late 19th century?
Wiki says-Pig milk is not considered suitable for human consumption or
commercial production for a number of reasons. Pigs are considered
difficult to milk. The sow herself is reluctant to be milked, may be
uncooperative or become spooked by human presence, and lactating pigs may
be quite aggressive.>>

I am quite convinced that this is a highly unfortunate story of
unscrupulous sinners wanting to make a major possek look bad by making him
believe and report the pig milk story, even as it may never have happened.
Mare's milk I would believe, but pig's milk is highly unlikely.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Yours sincerely,

Arie Folger,