[Avodah] Torah and Secular Knowledge before Ghettoization

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jul 4 22:40:59 PDT 2021

On 4/7/21 1:13 pm, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> I have the feeling that you did not take the time to read the essay mentioned in my post,

RSRH's essays are not Torah min Hashamayim, Mar Bar Rav Ashi did not
sign them, and I am not obligated to accept them.  He was a great man
who achieved a great deal, and I'm sure he has a brilliant gan eden, but
that doesn't mean his views are mainstream, let alone that they're true.

In any case, we're talking about a historical question.  Not what ought
to be, but what was.  Your assertion was that your preferred model of
education was the standard among Jews, until it somehow changed because
Jews were locked up in ghettos.   I simply don't believe that is true. I
know of no evidence for it at all, and you have not advanced any
evidence for it.  An essay is not evidence.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name