[Avodah] changes in circumstances

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jun 30 13:33:29 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 12:08:29AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Me-so how can we ever take into account changes in circumstances
> (e.g. Rabbeinu Tam on klei shir or how we skirt medicine on shabbat rules)

Rabbeinu Tam didn't eliminate keli shir, though. He eliminated extensions
to the original taqanah, like hand-clapping or dancing in a way no one
considers the definition of machol.

The horror story I took as an emotional motivator to keep to a din he saw
people finding new qulos for, and not actually fundamental to his pesaq.

The AhS holds like the CS that chalav yisrael is a taqanah. The Peri
Chadash has no problem, since he holds it's a pesaq. Pesaqim are
inherently limited by circumstances. But assuming the CS, and that CY
is a taqanah...

We have the IM defining re'iyah in a way that would include a certain
level of certainty even without sight. This is something we see in
hilkhos eidus. So that the gezeirah is met by the new circumstances.

The AhS, though, cites the case of someone supervising only part of
the milking run. This clearly isn't birur, since they could do the
adulteration when the Jew isn't watching. And yet, the result is CY
-- IF we have normal birur reasons to assume there was no mixing
in of treif milk.

He understands from that case that CY is a taqanah beyond birur, and
is pro-forma. He focuses on a case RMF would have a hard time explaining
adds re'iyah quality certainty.

..
> Wiki says-Pig milk is not considered suitable for human consumption
> or commercial production for a number of reasons...

Mare's milk, though, is drunk in a number of cultures. As were alcoholic
drinks from fermented mare's milk.

Totally tangential, since I doubt it would sell in 19th or early 20th
cent Lithuania.

Micha Berger                 "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I do, then I understand." - Confucius
Author: Widen Your Tent      "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites