[Avodah] eating for brachot rather than brachot for eating?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Jun 14 16:00:53 PDT 2021

On 14/6/21 6:39 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 10:00:40PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:

>> Did bnai yeshiva not eat granola bars in the time of Moshe Rabbeinu due
>> to safeik brachot? When did the approach of eating for brachot rather
>> than brachot for eating take off? Why?

> I am on a hunt... So, the AhS OC 208:9 points you to Tosafos on Berakhos
> 36a, d"h "Kol Sheyeish Bo". Then I saw the Tur (ad loc) did first,
> advising not to eat raw or boiled wheat outside of the se'udah. The Tur
> says "shayeish lizaher". The AhS -- "shenachon". The Tosados themselves
> say "vetov lehachmir".

Indeed.  Note, however, that it advises *not* eating this food without
washing on bread, rather than *eating* something that is definitely each
of the brachos in question, and then eating the food mimah nafshach.   I
suspect R Joel may be right that that's a recent phenomenon, and it may
not be correct.

Almost 40 years ago, when I was in yeshivah, one of my colleagues, now
Dayan Levi Raskin of London's Kedassia Beis Din, published a student
note making this very diyuk, and questioning the propriety of saying a
bracha when one has no desire to eat the thing it's on, and is only
eating it in order to resolve a halachic question.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name