[Avodah] Yelidei haAnak

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 1 08:19:45 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:38:25AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> On 31/5/21 7:18 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
>> But I would have made the whole word bold. Unqelus took the giants and
>> turned them into heros (giborim)!

> "Gibor" means "hero" only in Ivrit, not in LHK.  "Giboraya" is Unkelus's
> translation of "Nefilim"...

Yes, but gevurah is gevurah. Not a mention of height nor of any angelic
origins. There is no reason to assume that a rationalist like Unqelus
thought the Nefilim were anything but a class of / specific group
of Giborim.

>                                                                 When it
> comes to "benei Anak min hanefilim" he translates it "benei Anak min
> Giboraya"; does Davis bold that one too?

He bolds the whole "gibaraya", not just the "-ya" he does here. It seems
RAD believes that "gibara" would have been a literal translation of
"Anaq" and therefore pluralizing it is not literal; but using "gibaraya"
for "nefilim" isn't even a literal use of the root.

In Bereishis 6:4, "gibaraya" is used for "hanefilim" as well as
for "hagiborim" that the Benei haElohim fathered with Benos haAdam.
The Benei haElohim are rendered "Benei Ravrevaya", so it seems he --
kedarko -- doesn't go anywhere near calling them children of G-d.
More like "sons of the leaders".

Micha Berger                 You will never "find" time for anything.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   If you want time, you must make it.
Author: Widen Your Tent                        - Charles Buxton
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF