[Avodah] Gelatin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 25 11:33:42 PDT 2021

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:05:35AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> Aside from derekh eretz qodmah laTorah, ehrlechkeit will produce more
>> reliably kosher food. You need someone who is less likely to fool
>> himself about what's "good enough" on the basics before worrying about
>> what chumeros he aims for.

> All the erlichkeit in the world won't help, though, when the mashgiach holds
> that something (whether it's gelatin,... etc.) is kosher and I hold otherwise.

But that's not in contradiction to what I said.

Put it this way...

Would you prefer to rely on a hekhsher that follows a meiqil pesaq
about gelatin?

Or one that lacks the integrity to actually inspect the butcher they
claim to, who then puts plumbas on treif chickens?

Of course, stories like the Monsey chicken man are a rarity. But there
are plenty of places one can cut corners and all the chumeros one takes
in theoretical halachic issues won't matter.

Ehrlachkeit will indeed produce more reliably kosher food.

Micha Berger                 None of us will leave this place alive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   All that is left to us is
Author: Widen Your Tent      to be as human as possible while we are here.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF          - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner