[Avodah] emunah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun May 23 11:44:35 PDT 2021

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 05:09:33AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> My friend-A person should strive to have as much Emunah as possible. If
> they are able to reach a level of certainty that's great. I don't think
> that belief based on a preponderance of evidence makes someone a kofer
> even if that leaves some element of doubt.

I think there are two distinct things... Machashavah amuqah is studying
hashkafah. It allows one to know more about how Hashem runs the universe,
and more about Hashem Himself -- or at least, more about what He can't be.
But, it is knowledge /about/ G-d.

Knowing G-d, in the manner that makes it possible to have a relationship
with Him, is emunah. A middah. An entirely different think.

Tevya the protagonist of Fiddler on the Roof didn't study much. He wa
no expert in theology, aggaditos, etc... But, when he was alone on the
road with his hoarse, Hashem was there with him to. And Tevya broke
out in conversation with Him. "As the Good Book says, ev-... <chuckle>
Why should I tell *You* what the Good Book says?"

Studying machashavah is critical. Otherwise, one can have emunah in
and form a relationship with a false or even heretical perception of
the Borei. But it's not really buttressing the Emunah itself.

In other words: While the Kuzari's tradition-based-faith didn't fare well
under modernity, the proof-based-faith of the Moreh or Chovos haLevavos
did far worse. Philosophical consensus and cultural norms don't even
take for granted such proofs are even possible, and if possible, that
they will convince the disbeliever.

Micha Berger                 The meaning of life is to find your gift.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   The purpose of life
Author: Widen Your Tent      is to give it away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Pablo Picasso