[Avodah] When was Pi haAretz created?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 7 14:55:47 PDT 2021

I am sure this is addressed by primary sources.

Avos 4:5 lists the 10 things created Bein haShemashos of the first
Shabbos, the first of which is "pi ha'aretz". Rambam, the Bartenura,
Rabbeinu Yonah, etc... all say this is the one that swallowed Korach in
this week's parashah.

But, what Moshe (Bamidbar 16:30) says is, "ve'im beri'ah yivra H'
ufatzesa ha'adamah es piha..."

But according to Avos, the mouth was already created well before Moshe
spoke!?

So, why does Moshe describe the earth opening up to swallo people as a
new beryah?

Micha Berger                 "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I want to do it." - is weak.
Author: Widen Your Tent      "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk