[Avodah] eating for brachot rather than brachot for eating?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 14 15:39:45 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 10:00:40PM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Did bnai yeshiva not eat granola bars in the time of Moshe Rabbeinu due
> to safeik brachot? When did the approach of eating for brachot rather
> than brachot for eating take off? Why?

I am on a hunt... So, the AhS OC 208:9 points you to Tosafos on Berakhos
36a, d"h "Kol Sheyeish Bo". Then I saw the Tur (ad loc) did first,
advising not to eat raw or boiled wheat outside of the se'udah. The Tur
says "shayeish lizaher". The AhS -- "shenachon". The Tosados themselves
say "vetov lehachmir".

Whatever each phrase means, the idea of modifying what one eats so as
to avoid safeiq berakhos is at least as old as that anonymous Tosafos.

I remember the phrase "Yarei Shamayim, ra'ui lo lehachmir velo lehikaneis
lesafeiq berakhos" but I can't find a primary source for it. In any case,
that refers more to the safeiq whether or not a berakhah is needed (eg
was it a kezayis / revi'is I just ate?) and not which berakhah to make.

Micha Berger                 Life is a stage and we are the actors,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but only some of us have the script.
Author: Widen Your Tent                  - Rav Menachem Nissel
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF