[Avodah] Gelatin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 14 06:46:59 PDT 2021

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 06:18:57PM -0400, Meir Shinnar via Avodah wrote:
> Famous story of RSZA telling head of Michlala that his American students
> can go eat at their RZ families in Israel who keep Rabbanit hashgacha --
> because it is kasher, and even though he has different shittot, they can
> eat there.

I would want to hear details about which "RZ families in Israel". There
is a big difference between relying on your host's shitos because they
are valid, and between being meiqil on some issues for the sake of kibud
av va'eim and shalom bayis, and not making enemies of extended family.
Much inheres in details of both the case and the wording of the answer.

But sof kol sof, I agree:
> So yes, for almost everyone, ehrlichkeit is more important...

Because for most of us, knowing we can rely on them actually keeping to
their standards is more important than which standards they're keeping.

(This is aside from the question of which is more important for *them*
-- the mashgichim's own spiritual well being, for which DE qodmah laTorah
would apply.)

Micha Berger                 Spirituality is like a bird: if you tighten
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   your grip on it, it chokes; slacken your grip,
Author: Widen Your Tent      and it flies away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter