[Avodah] eating for brachot rather than brachot for eating?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jun 9 14:55:15 PDT 2021

On 8/6/21 9:23 pm, Alexander Seinfeld via Avodah wrote:
> They did not eat them because they only ate healthy food.
> Eating for berachot began when Jews stopped paying attention to the
> mitzvah of shmrat haguf (staying healthy).
> My guess is mid-20th Century when unhealthy calories became dirt cheap.
> Alexander Seinfeld
>
>> Did bnai yeshiva not eat granola bars in the time of Moshe Rabbeinu due
>> to safeik brachot? When did the approach of eating for brachot rather
>> than brachot for eating take off? Why?

I don't know what exactly is meant by "eating for brachos".   Do you
mean eating something, e.g. fruit, for the purpose of saying an extra
bracha?  That is a long-established custom on Shabbos, in order to make
up the 100 brachos.

What I thought at first that you meant, though, was solving a safek
brachos by eating foods that definitely bear each of the brachos
involved. E.g. if you want to eat something and you're not sure whether
it's ha'etz or ha'adama, the practice of eating something that is
definitely ha'etz and something that is definitely ha'adama, so what you
actually wanted to eat is covered.  I'm not sure when that started, but
I assume it's early.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name