[Avodah] Making Coffee on Shabbos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Apr 19 14:12:09 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 03:20:17PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From https://torah.org/torah-portion/weekly-halacha-5761-pekudei/
>> Making Coffee On Shabbos + Torah.org

So, you have a choice.. Use instant so you can have irui keli rishon, or
have a drink that actually tastes like coffee. <grin>

Putting coffee into a drip filter and pouring the water over the grounds
is not considered borer. This is because the water is entering and leaving
the beans in a single action. It's really, there is no ta'aroves to be
mevarer, if I understand the lomdus correctly. See SA OC 319:9, which says
the same thing about pouring water over dregs, and MB s"q 33 for details.
See also AhS se'if 28, who cites the mishnah on Shabbos 139b.

So much for boreir. As for bishul...

There is no way to make it without irui. So, if you want the safety of using
a keli shelishi, it will have to be irui keli shelishi. The urn being keli
rishon, then pass the water twice (cup to a second cup) BEFORE pouring it
into the filter.

LOR approved, and also seen on OK
https://www.ok.org/article/consumer-questions-24/
as well as
https://halachipedia.com/index.php?title=Borer#cite_note-34
https://sites.google.com/site/asktherabbieretzhemdah/home/coffee-filter-on-shabbat
and R Aryeh Liebowitz (Yeshivas Lev Shlomo, Woodmere) on YUTorah at
https://www.yutorah.org/sidebar/lecture.cfm/855590

Micha Berger                 Today is the 22nd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Chesed sheb'Netzach: Do I take control of the
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF               situation for the benefit of others?