[Avodah] Are We Trying to Grow?

Joseph Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Fri Apr 16 06:41:45 PDT 2021

I note that I didn’t say “completely” comfortable. You added the word “completely” which changed the meaning of my comment. And, with all respect to Rav Yisroel Salanter (and I mean that sincerely), if you are, indeed, quoting him correctly about using the language “getting rid of,” then I would dissent from such a position. (I wonder if he didn’t say something more like “uncomfortable” rather than “getting rid of.”) In fact, my rabbi doesn’t always make me feel comfortable with his words or admonitions or positions. But he’s never insulting to congregants and he doesn’t want to get rid of any congregants. He’s not bothered by congregants who disagree with him or don’t follow his halachic requirements. He’s not looking for — and the congregants are not looking for — a completely homogeneous group or an echo chamber as long as respect and civility are the values and modes of interaction that all, rabbi and congregants alike, share. Of course, as I wrote, some are looking for a more homogeneous environment. And I think it’s wonderful that you found what you’re looking for. But that doesn’t mean it’s the best — it just means it’s the best for you.

Similarly, as to what the ballei battim who left supposedly missed, it is possible, perhaps even likely, that what they found was more meaningful to them. The rabbi they left undoubtedly has certain skills and talents; why do you think the rabbi they found does not have other and different skills and talents that benefit them in other ways that are more important to them and that you're missing out on? We can’t have it all, which, again, is why it’s so wonderful that we have so many different type of shuls and yeshivot and other Orthodox institutions to serve the needs of our diverse Orthodox population.

Joseph