[Avodah] Are we trying to grow?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Apr 11 07:43:36 PDT 2021

A factor on RYL's side in this discussion is that having a rabbi for
each shul, and having him speak every Shabbos morning, or even on an
occasional Shabbos morning, was not the Jewish tradition.  It's a very
modern thing, partially influenced by Reform, which was in turn
influenced by Lutheranism.

It used to be that a rav was employed by the *kehillah*, rather than by
any specific shul.  Even a small kehillah would often have several
shuls, and a large one would have many shuls, large and small.

And the rav would speak on Shabbos afternoons, not in the middle of
shachris.   Indeed, while the original minhag, both in Eretz Yisrael and
in Bavel, was to have the rav speak every Shabbos afternoon, and this
was continued by at least some Sefardi communities (e.g. Bavel, hence we
have Ben Ish Chai), in Ashkenaz the custom became that the rav only
spoke twice a year, on Shabbos Teshuvah and Shabbos Hagadol, while for
other Shabbosos the kehillah might either hire a maggid, or depend on
itinerant maggidim.  In the latter case there would not be a drosha
every shabbos, but only when a maggid happened to come by.

None of this means our current model is not an improvement; but it's
something to bear in mind.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name