[Avodah] Moshe Rabenu got rich from the shivrei luchos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Apr 5 14:35:16 PST 2021

On 4/4/21 7:20 am, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> Today’s Daf (Yerushalmi Shekalim 14) states that Moshe Rabenu got rich
> from the pieces of the broken luchos. This statement seems quite strange
> to me given the living conditions in the midbar.
> 1. They didn’t need to buy any food or water, that came from hashem.
> 2.They lived in tents so did not spend money on housing.
> 3. There was no land to buy.
> 4. Their clothing didn’t wear out.
> 5. No one needed to work.
>
> So given the above what did it mean to be rich in the midbar? What was
> the value of the shivrei luchos if there was nothing to buy? How did
> this wealth affect Moshe’s life in any way?

We know that there were many traders who came to the camp, and brought
every conceivable item that the Jews might want.  I imagine some even
set up semi-permanent operations, especially during the 19-year period
in Kadesh.

So wealth had a use beyond mere status symbol, if someone cared to buy
luxury goods.  I don't imagine Moshe cared to do so, but as a wealthy
man he could easily afford to and it was his choice not to.  And who
knows?  If Rebbi thought it legitimate to spend money on out-of-season
radishes and lettuce, maybe Moshe did too.

This is why the perennial complainers' argument was bogus; if they
wanted meat, they had many animals, and if they wanted fish or leeks or
whatever they could easily buy them.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end