[Avodah] Meshech Chochma on kedusha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Mar 9 10:22:59 PST 2021

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 11:20:10AM +0000, Ben Bradley wrote:
> He starts by saying that the kedushos of eretz yisroel and Yerushalayim
> are 'pratei usnifei haTorah v'niskadshu bikedushas ha Torah'. Ie the
> root is Hashem's Torah not our actions.

Our difference of opinion is not whether RMShK holds that qedushah means
G-dliness and thus must be connecting to Hashem's qedushah, to tzivui
and to Torah.

And thus all your quotes are consistent with my understanding, since
they aren't about our point of contention.

But:
Who is bringing the Torah into the world? Is EY qadosh because it is
the subject of extra mitzvos? Or is it qadosh because we do those
mitzvos?

If you say the MC's position is the latter, you don't have to explain
why Har Sinai loses qedushah as soon as Maamad Har Sinai is over, but
Har haBayis can be qadosh even without a BHMQ. Because it is people
who connect Divine Will with a place or object, when people lose that
association the qedushah is gone.

And then there is the text I quoted last time, which I think can only
be understood as the MC saying that qedushah comes from our bringing our
avodas Hashem, and thus His Will and His Qedushah, to the place or object.

    ... ein benivra qedushah be'etzem
    raq mitzad shemiras Yisrael haTorah
    kefi Retzon haBorei yisbarakh shemo haqadosh...

Micha Berger                 "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
http://www.aishdas.org/asp    'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
Author: Widen Your Tent       'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l