[Avodah] Reciting Hamotzi at a Simcha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 3 15:32:08 PST 2021

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 01:24:19PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

>> Q. Next to the washing station at a simcha hall there are cut up
>> pieces of pita. At my table there is a whole roll....

>> A. ... Regarding our original question, although in normal
>> circumstances, it is preferable not to delay reciting Hamotzi,
>> nonetheless, the importance of reciting Hamotzi on a whole loaf (which
>> adds honor to the bracha) is an overriding consideration and takes
>> precedence. (See Mishnah Berurah 167:4 and 27).

Being a balebus, the balebatishe answer seems more obvious to me: Go to
the table you are seated at, take a roll with you to the washing station,
wash and make hamotzi on a whole roll.

That said, I have noticed many kosher caterers use mini rolls at the
washing station. I had assumed, to avoid this question.

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF