[Avodah] Purim Meshulash is celebrated this year in Yerushalayim. What is Purim Meshulash?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Feb 25 13:43:52 PST 2021

On 25/2/21 9:14 am, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> Sunday: The Purim /seuda/ takes place on Sunday and /Mishloach Manos/
> are distributed then as well.

This is the opinion of the Mechaber, who is nowadays considered the
"Mara De'asra" of the whole Eretz Yisrael.  But in his day he was not so
considered.   Yerushalayim had its own rav, the Ralbach, who holds
differently; he holds that Seudas Purim and Mishloach Manos should be
performed on Shabbos, and thus there is only a 2-day Purim, not 3 days.

I assume that in his day the Sefardi community of Yerushalayim followed
his psak and not that of the Mechaber in Tzefas.  I wonder at what point
the community practice changed to that of the Mechaber, and whether this
was influenced by the arrival of new immigrants who challenged the
existing minhag based on what is written in the Shulchan Aruch.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end