[Avodah] Can I make Kiddush or Havdalah on a cup of coffee or tea?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Feb 8 13:56:10 PST 2021

On 8/2/21 4:03 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> (In fact, on a metzi'us level, I don't think sugar was cheap enough in
> Litta for one to assume one was getting sugar with their tea.

Sugar was quite expensive there, while across the border in Galicia it
was cheap.  That's why Litvaks make their gefilte fish and luction kugel
salty and Galicianers make them sweet.

The Baal Hatanya, who lived on his pay as the town maggid, first in
Liozna and then in Liadi, once asked the town council for a raise,
because after much thought he had come to the conclusion that sugar is a
necessity and not a luxury (hechrochios and not mosros).

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end