[Avodah] Would Seforno be Comfortable with Evolution?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jan 8 12:57:43 PST 2021

On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 06:57:06PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> >      Mi nasan hahakhanos hativ'iyos bekoach teva ha'adam?

> I don't see the circumlocution.  He's saying that Hashem, when He created
> the human species, gave it a nature of being able to talk..

He didn't say nasan koach hadibur. Hashem gave the natural prep in order for
humans to have a power of speach. The wordiness, and the need to instroduce
"hahakhanos" is what I was commenting on.

> Hashem tells him his premise is wrong.  The power of speech was given to Man
> at creation, and is baked in to the specification for the whole species. "Mi
> sam peh."  The fact that a person can speak is not the result of an
> individual decision by Hashem....

Yotzeir or, not yatzar or. Hamchadeish betuvo. As someone with a Chabad
background, you know the Besh"t on this better than I do. 10 maamaros
implies that unlike the printed word, which exists after the writing is
done, creation is like the spoken word -- Hashem is creating as long as
the thing exists.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Problems are not stop signs,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   they are guidelines.
Author: Widen Your Tent              - Robert H. Schuller
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF