[Avodah] Targumim from Sinai

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 5 15:51:58 PST 2021

I was under the impression that Unqelus was credited with recreating
through ruach haqodesh the Aramaic translation of the Torah that Ezra
had offered. "Shakechum vechazar veyasdum".

See Megillah 3a https://www.sefaria.org/Megillah.3a.7-8

I said "Ezra offered because I presumed that the version the gemara
refers to from Nechemiah was the same as in Sanhedrin 21b (and the Y-mi
Megillah 10a). That the Torah was given originally in Kesav Ivri and
Lashon haQodesh, and given again in the days of Ezra in Kesav Ashuris
and Lashon Arami. And the Jews selected Ashuris and LhQ.

So that Unqelus was chazar veyasad a veritable second giving of the Torah.

Which explains why the Tur holds that Shenayim Miqra veEchad Targum
means specifically Targum Unqelus. (Not the only shitah, but it does
explain the shitah.)

Micha Berger                 "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I do, then I understand." - Confucius
Author: Widen Your Tent      "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites