[Avodah] Prayers That The Tzibbur Does Not Say

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:31:53 PST 2021

.
R' Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter wrote:

> ... Thus, if there is a local glut of unmarried people, and the
> tzibbur needs shiddukhim, the shliax tzibbur may not insert a
> prayer for shiddukhim in the repetition of the 'Amidah.  Or if
> the community is suffering from, oh let's say, a plague of frogs,
> the shliax tzibbur is not allowed to insert into the repetition
> of the 'Amida a prayer asking God to do anything about it, ...
> It's just not the kind of prayer, that the tzibbur is allowed
> to make.

Perhaps such a halacha exists, but I have not heard of it. Do you have a
source? I wonder what the reason would be for such a prohibition.

To keep the conversation going, I'll suggest another scenario, similar to
those you've mentioned. Suppose a great leader (a Rosh Yeshiva, or a
chassidic Rebbe, for example) is very ill. The community arranges a big
event, to encourage great throngs to come and pray for the leader's health.
There are many tehillim recited, many speeches given, and many tears shed.
Then the entire crowd unites to daven mincha together. When the shliax
tzibbur recites Xazaras Hashatz, can he add a tefila for the leader's
health, either in Refa'einu or in Shema Kolenu? If not, why not?

In any case, my original question (in the thread "Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah on
days other than Yom Kippur") was not about impromptu prayers for special
events. It was about established prayers that we can find in the siddur,
machzor, or elsewhere. There are many that may be said only with a minyan,
and I'm wondering if there are any (beside  Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah) that may
be said only with*out* a minyan.

Akiva Miller