[Avodah] Having Mishaloach Manos Delivered vis Amazon

micha at aishdas.org micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 23 05:48:26 PST 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:37:09PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Do you have a source for this distinction? The Aruch Hashulchan is very
> clear that "two manos" DOES mean "two types of food."

> Aruch Hashulchan 695:14 writes: "One has to send two types of food ... But
> two pieces of a single type doesn't help. Just because he cut them, it is
> considered as two??" ...

In se'if 13 he says "uba'inan shetei manos... veyotz'in be'echad". Which
being darshened from the word "rei'eka" would seem to mean 1 person
(getting the 2 manos) except he doesn't get to the number

And se'if 15 talks about the size of a maneh, "ke'ein chatikhah
hara'ui lehiskhabeid".

All that aside, yes, the AhS comes down on one side. In this case, he
is defending common practice against the SA se'if 4. For all the AhS's
saying the Rambam must have originally been "minim" across the board
rather than "manos", the Mechaber pasqens 2 manos. And there is no hagah
from the Rama saying otherwise.

Which is, again, why I think we are in CYLOR territory.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 5:56pm -0500, Prof. Levine <larry62341 at optonline.net> wrote:
> So according to you if someone sent me a roll and and cold cuts and I made
> a sandwich, then that would also be on maneh.

No, I am saying it could well be that that's the halakhah, so CYLOR.
What you consider obvious doesn't seem so when you look at the sources.

> I think not!

> The salad and croutons are 2 different things.  They have two different
> brochos,  even if combined.

According to the SA, the halakhah speaks of two servings.

The fundamental halakhah doesn't care about "two berakhos", and according
to the SA, not even whether it's two kinds of food. Giving two hamburgers
may not be our minhag, but it is clear that both the SA and the Rama would
say you are yotzei. (OC 695:4) The Arukh haShulchan (se'if 15) talks about
the manos being generous, so you can't be yotzei giving just two kezeisim.

So yes, if you give a hamburger and a bun, you could very well not be
yotzei. That's exactly the logic. You say "I think not!" but why not? Do
you have a maqor? That's why I would get an expert opinion before doing
the same.

Micha Berger                 We look forward to the time
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   when the power to love
Author: Widen Your Tent      will replace the love of power.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF              - William Ewart Gladstone