[Avodah] Having Mishaloach Manos Delivered vis Amazon

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Feb 22 12:57:32 PST 2021

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 02:32:07PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> For the past few years have been giving a package with salad and
> croutons. This certainly can be a part of a "real" Seudah.

The SA requires two manos, not two foods. Two foods, or the AhS's version
of two berakhos, is minhag.

Which raises a question I would CYLOR before following your practice. Say
I would choose to give a salad and croutons for one. Presumably it is
likely the person would put the croutons into the salad, and I only gave
one maneh!

One can argue from the Rambam's Hikkhos Tzedaqah that the same applies
to michloach manos, and it's better to give smaller m"m to more people.
Or maybe not.

The question of how to safely do mishloach manos this year is a touchy
one, and depends on local conditions. I heard one LOR recommend giving
just one person whom you've already had similar contact with, and save
all the great "themed shalachmanos" ideas for next year.

Last year, the week before Pesach was a vary sad one in our community. (I
still cry when I think of R Matis Blum's [Torah Loda'as] mother, someone
who fed me many a Shabbos Qiddush snack when I was a boy, who was still
sitting shiv'ah for R Matis when she started shiv'ah for her husband.)

But last Purim, we weren't aware of the notion of a "superspreader event".

Micha Berger                 Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   or something in your life actually attracts more
Author: Widen Your Tent      of the things that you appreciate and value into
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.