[Avodah] Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah on days other than Yom Kippur

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 03:47:20 PST 2021

In the "credit where credit is due" department, this post results from an
article in the recent issue (Dec 2020) of The Journal of Halacha and
Contemporary Society. It contains an article titled "The Halachos of
Davening at Home" by "Rabbi Avraham Yeshaya Cohen, Translated by Rabbi
Nosson Kaiser". On page 74-75, he writes:

>>> It is forbidden for a tzibbur to recite ha'aderes v'ha'emunah except on
Yom Kippur, but an individual may say it anytime. [Mishnah Berurah 565:12.
Nusach Sefarad says it every Shabbos and Yom Tov during pesukei d'zimra.
Perhaps that is considered an individual's tefillah, as there is no
requirement for a tzibbur at that point. In fact, Siddur Tezelosa
D'avraham p. 159 writes that it should be said quietly, and the chazzan
should not end it aloud. See also Aruch Hashulchan 281:4 and Sheivet Levi
10:86.]

Mishnah Berurah 565:12 says:

>>> Don't say Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah with a tzibur except on Yom Kippur,
though an individual can say Ha'aderes all year. [Pri Megadim in Eishel
Avraham]

The Dirshu Mishneh Berurah 565:16 gives some arguments (pro and con) about
saying it in Pesukei D'Zimra, and also raises the issue of singing it
during Hakafos on Simchas Torah.

Magen Avraham 565:5 says:

>>> Don't say Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah with a tzibur except on Yom Kippur.
(R"m Mahari"l)

Pri Megadim 565:5 says:

>>> See the Magen Avraham about b'tzibbur, but an individual can say
Ha'aderes all year. See Darchei Moshe.

Darchei Moshe 565:4 says:

>>> The Mahari'v wrote that the tefillah Ha'aderes V'ha'emunah can be said
by an individual any day of the year, but a tzibbur is forbidden to say it
except on Yom Kippur.

My question about all this does not concern the exceptions that are made
for Pesukei D'Zimra or for Simchas Torah. Rather, I am very surprised to
find a tefillah where the individual has free rein, but the tzibur is
restricted. Usually it is the other way around. There are many tefilos
which may be said *only* b'tzibur, and often only under certain
circumstances. For example, some tefilos are said only on certain days, and
some are said only by the chazan. Here we have a case where the tzibur may
say it on only one particular day, yet the individual can say it anytime.

Are there any other examples of this? Can anyone explain why it would be
wrong for a tzibur to choose to say it on a day other than Yom Kippur?

Akiva Miller