[Avodah] ad hayom hazeh

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Nov 25 07:46:58 PST 2020

On 24/11/20 8:43 pm, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> 1) Looking from the perspective of Adam and Chava before they sinned:
> Was "the desired end state" an entry into Olam Haba the very next day?
> Or was "the desired end state" that they should err, and then grow by
> learning from that error?

Both.  The original desired end state was to go immediately, and that
would have been good.  But the end state that we will eventually achieve
after thousands of years of work will be better.

The same applies to your second question. Had our ancestors entered the
Land three days after leaving Chorev, it would have been good.  What
they achieved after 40 years in the desert was in some ways better --
except for the fact that they didn't immediately build the permanent
BHMK.  But even that will eventually work out, because when we finally
do build it it will be better than it would have been.

Basically all these boil down to the same question: the advantage of
Baalei Teshuva over Tzadikim, or the advantage of the Or Mitoch
Hachoshech, the light that comes out of darkness.  Obviously "echta
ve'ashuv" is not a derech.  But bediavad it turns out that by sinning
and repenting one ends up in a better place than one would have achieved
without the sin.

[Email #2. -micha]

R' Joel Rich asked:
>  Yes, but theoretically if each individual made decisions that
>  in total did not get to the desired end state, doesn't this
>  imply that HKBH would have to limit someone's bechira to reach
>  the end state?

A simple answer is that that is so unlikely to happen that we need not
take it into consideration.  It's theoretically possible, but only in
the sense that it's theoretically possible for all the air in a room to
gather on one side, and suffocate those who are on the other side. In
practice that is what we call impossible, and we never allow for the
possibility that it might happen.  The same would apply to the
possibility, for instance, not only that the Mitzrim would refuse to
enslave the Jews but that no nation would take their place. In practice
that couldn't have happened.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end