[Avodah] Special places

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 00:15:27 PST 2020

How does the MC’s clal apply to kedusha of of time and of person? I presume it would need to apply there unless you posit that kedusha has a completely different meaning in those contexts.
But kedushas Shabbos seems very clearly independant of human input. In fact it has been extensively argued that the whole point of Shabbos is connecting to a kedusha inherent to maaseh bereshis. Ata kidashta, in the explicit words of tefila.
As for kedusha of person, you could argue that the Leviim earned Kedusha by their response to the eigel. But what of Aharon and kedushas kehuna? He didn’t distinguish himself at the eigel. And even assuming that it was his otherwise sterling personality and midos which earned him and his descendants kedushas kehuna, can we really say that one is a direct result of the other? Doesn’t seem to be a clear enough causation