[Avodah] Special Places

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Nov 23 13:41:03 PST 2020

One of the more quoted thoughts of the Meshekh Chokhmah is his idea
that there is no such thing as inherent qedushah. Qedushah is caused
by human activity. RYMhK brings this a few times, one is on parashas
Bo <https://www.sefaria.org/Meshech_Hochma%2C_Bo.46>

He goes as far as to say that thinking that an object or place can be
inherently holy is already the beginning of AZ!

So I was wondering what the MC would do with Yaaqov's statements in
this week's parashah "akhein yeish H' bamaqom hazzah... mah nora hamaqom
hazeh..." (Bereishis 28:16-17)

But his comments here have to do more with explaining it in light of
Hashem's statement at the seneh, "ushemi H' lo nodati lahem".

Does he discuss why Moriah is different anywhere? Is it Avraham and
Yitzchaq's tefillos there that Yaaqov didn't even know about that made
his nevu'ah more possible? Kind of robs the original statement of most
of its rationalism. I also don't think it fits how the MC explains why
bayis sheini is qidshah le'asid lavo which is specifically because we
DIDN'T forget bayis sheini!

Micha Berger                 The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
Author: Widen Your Tent      but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar