[Avodah] Pushing Off the Upsherin

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 04:49:42 PST 2020

.
R' Yitzchok Levine wrote:

> I think it is most likely that she simply followed what she
> saw others doing and did not even consider asking any posek.
>
> Mimetic Judaism is still very much alive when it comes to
> being influenced by the practices of those around us. ...
>
> There are many other examples of this.  People who never went
> to a bonfire on Lag B'Omer now go. ...
>
> Following the crowd is a powerful human draw.

Yes it is! And isn't that exactly how minhagim are *supposed* to work?

Once upon a time, the traditionalists said Birchos Krias Shema exactly as
had been done for centuries. And along came the innovators, introducing
their Piyutim. Now, the traditionalists want to continue saying their
Piyutim, and the innovators are more sensitive to the problems of Hefsek.

Is one more correct than the other? Some say things must never change, and
others say it is natural and normal. I prefer the middle road, where
changes come slowly and carefully, and under the guidance of our leaders.

Akiva Miller