[Avodah] Teaching your child a trade

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Nov 18 04:28:46 PST 2020

At 10:55 PM 11/17/2020, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
>R' YL:
>The Agudah has such programs. For example, Daniel Soloff  is
>
>National Director at Professional Career
>Services, a division of Agudath Israel which
>functions in Lakewood. While not overtly
>supported by BMG, it is known that many who have
>learned in BMG get job skills through this organization.
>

>As former BMG registrar and current Agudah
>employee, I can attest to how great this
>organization is and how successful its graduates
>are. That said, it speaks to the opposite of R'
>YL's point - if such programs exist (and they
>do, as he said), why should one worry about learning a trade at a younger age?
>
>KT,
>MYG

On the contrary.  I would argue that this is one
way that requires a father to make sure his son
acquires the skills to earn a  living.

As far as "learning a trade at a younger
age",  it is incumbent on the father to make sure
that his son gets the secular education when he
is young so that he can participate in such a
program.  If a young man cannot read, speak, and
write English on a reasonable level, do basic
mathematics, etc. then he will have trouble
participating in such a program and may not be able to complete.

What is the failure rate for those who try to
complete a course of study in the

National Director at Professional Career
Services?  When Daniel Soloff met with me some
years ago, he bemoaned the lack of basic secular
knowledge of some who wanted to enter the program
and even wanted me to teach a course in the program.

Some years ago I tutored a chassidic young man
who attended Touro College in basic
mathematics.  He knew nothing about fractions,
percents, etc.  and had failed the a required
math course at Touro.  As a result,  he was not
going to graduate despite having completed all of
the other requirements for graduation.  I was
shocked at the fact that here was a grown man (He
was married with a family.)  who had such an
abysmal knowledge of the fundamentals of
mathematics.  IMO it was his father's
responsibility to have made sure that this
fellow  had been  taught and mastered basic mathematics.

YL