[Avodah] Crown Heights Rav's Psak On Voting In Church

Isaac Balbin isaac at balb.in
Wed Nov 11 21:20:40 PST 2020

> On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 01:32:58PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine forwarded to
> Areivim from
> <https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/headlines-breaking-stories/1916361>:
>> Residents of Crown Heights are facing a halachic issue on Tuesday as
>> their voting booth station is in a local church...

>> Rav Yosef Braun, the Rav of Crown Heights, paskened this week that voting
>> in a church is only permissible when the actual voting booth is in a room
>> that does not serve as the prayer room since it is then apparent to all
>> that the purpose of entering the room is not for prayer. Furthermore,
>> it is only permissible if there is no other option.

Indeed. That brought back memories of when I was allocated a lecture
theatre for my lectures at the back of a church. The entrance was
through the front door and via the Church. I advised the University
that I would not lecture there unless there was a back entrance, and
they opened up such an entrance for me. The Church was prominent and
in the Central Business District and I certainly didn’t want to be seen
going through the front door given that most would not be aware that the
Church had a hall at the back which they were renting to the University
for commercial reasons.