[Avodah] Is there a mitzvah to wear tzitzis at night?

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 05:11:57 PST 2020

.
According to how the OU explained the position of Rosh and Rabenu Tam: If
daytime clothes must always have tzitzis (even at night) and nighttime
clothes never need tzitzis (even during the day), then tzitzis seems to be
very similar to mezuzah. In both cases, a whole list of technical criteria
will determine whether or not the object needs this thing attached to it.

In the case of tzitzis, the garment needs to have four corners, and be a
daytime garment, and several other things, and if it meets all the criteria
then it needs tzitzis. But if it fails any of those tests then it is exempt.

In the case of mezuza, the doorway needs to have a post on the right side,
and be a permanent dwelling, and several other things, and if it meets all
the criteria then it needs a mezuza. But if it fails any of those tests
then it is exempt.

So, according to Rosh and Rabenu Tam, Tzitzis should be no different from
Mezuza as regards Zman Grama. I find this surprising because in actual
practice we do exempt women from tzitzis. And not merely from the
requirement to wear tzitzis, but even to the point of allowing them to wear
four-cornered garments that lack tzitzis.

Which part did I get wrong?

Akiva Miller