[Avodah] To Sojourn in the Land[1]

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Mon Nov 9 08:05:09 PST 2020

 From
<http://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2020/rtwe_sojourn.html>http://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2020/rtwe_sojourn.html
This article was written by Rabbi Meyer Twersky

"'He sojourned there' - this teaches us that our
patriarch Ya'akov intended only to sojourn, not
settle, [in Egypt]." I.e., this teaches for all
generations how Jews must conduct themselves in
each and every exile, that they should know that
they have not descended to the diaspora to
settle, rather to sojourn until the redemption
(literally, end of days), and they should view
themselves as non-citizens. (Meshech Chochmah, Vayikra 26:44)

Civic loyalty to and responsibility for our
country of residence notwithstanding, we
recognize that the land outside of Eretz Yisrael
is not ours. Our existential mindset and
consciousness are that of an uprooted, displaced
refugee whose real and rightful place is in the land of Israel.

We must also be constantly, acutely aware of the
dangerous reality of anti-semitism, both latent
and active. While the world is blessed with the
devout of the nations (çñéãé àåîåú äòåìí), it is
also plagued by the scourge of anti-semites. We
must not be ignorantly lulled into a naive, false
sense of security based upon our own very
limited, mostly congenial, personal experience
(for which we are very grateful to the United
States). Instead we must be wisely, cautiously
realistic, based upon our extensive, bloody,
national-historical experience. Anti-semitism is
very real, and easily ignited or excited.

[As an aside, our generation, at times, lacks
adequate historical consciousness. But that is a subject for another time.]

II

How did all this translate this year in terms of politicking?

See the above URL for more.

Mayer E. Twersky is an Orthodox rabbi and one of
the roshei yeshiva at the Rabbi Isaac Elchanan
Theological Seminary of Yeshiva University. He
holds the Leib Merkin Distinguished Professorial
Chair in Talmud and Jewish Philosophy.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayer_Twersky>Wikipedia.
He is a grandson of Rabby J B. Soloveichik.