[Avodah] Teaching your child a trade

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Nov 5 12:20:45 PST 2020

At 02:10 PM 11/5/2020,R. Akiva Miller wrote:

>I don't know what reasons Chazal gave to this principle, but I can see many
>practical reasons why such a father should make sure that his kids have
>some sort of job so that they don't need to rely on their inheritance.

First of all, I think that in the time of Chazal the requirement to
teach a child a trade applied to boys,  not girls. So I think the
subject should read "Teaching you son a trade."

>For
>example:
>
>- How can one be sure that the money will last?
>- How can he be sure that the child won't just waste the money?
>- What kind of role model will the grandchildren have?

After we learned the sugya about this in one of R. Avigdor Miller's
shiurim I asked him privately,  "Why don't fathers do this today?
They let their sons learn in yeshiva and do not make sure they get
skills to earn a living."  He relied, "Look at my shul.  they are
doctors, lawyers, accountants,  and yet their sons have no training
to earn a living.  My son Shmuel has a wealthy father-in-law, so
there will be enough money for his children,  but what will happen to
Shmuel's grandchildren?"

For the record,  he never said anything like this publicly.

Today there are programs that give men have been learning in Kollel
job skills when they want to (have to) leave Kollel.  The Agudah has
such programs. For example, Daniel Soloff  is

National Director at Professional Career Services, a division of
Agudath Israel which functions in Lakewood. While not overtly
supported by BMG, it is known that many who have learned in BMG get
job skills through this organization.

YL