[Avodah] The Tahom

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 5 12:34:20 PST 2020

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:08:57PM -0500, Brent Kaufman via Avodah wrote:
>> The most exact translation of "yam" is "seabed", not "sea". As in
>> "mayim bayamim".

> Do you have a source to translate it like that? In English we say "...all
> of the water in the sea." and still sea doesn't mean seabed.

I thought that this is why the term for a bottom grindstone is also "yam".

Also, the "miqveih mayim" of day 2 was "miqveh" in the pi'el (and
semichut, thus the tzeirei). There were two things named in Bereishis
1:10, "E-lokim called the dry land 'eretz', and the gatherers of the water,
He called 'yamim'."

See also the Tur (ad loc, "ulemiqveih hamayim qara yamim"):
     Explanation, "yam" for water. Becasue the qara of the mayim is called
     yam, as it says "kamayim layam mechasim".

Micha Berger                 When memories exceed dreams,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   The end is near.
Author: Widen Your Tent                      - Rav Moshe Sherer
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF