[Avodah] The Delet Hakodesh and Lot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Nov 5 09:59:16 PST 2020

On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 06:12:36PM -0600, Brent Kaufman via Avodah wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 4, 2020, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> > But he took it for granted they would fight to defend their wives. They
> > didn't

> The girls he offered were virgins...

You are correct, I misrepresented the Seforno. He assumes the daughters
in question were engaged. And it's the fiances he was trying to rope in.

Here's the Seforno (19:8 d"h "otzi'ah nah eshein aleikhem"), I think
it's short enough for a transliteration to be readable:
    Chashav sheyaqumu loqechei venosav "veqam she'on" beineihem.

("Veqam shaon" appears to be lifted from Hoasheia 10:14, and is usally
translated there as something related to the sounds or tumult of war.)

The Seforno doesn't explain where he gets this from. Maybe making a point
about "asher lo yad'u ish" implies that they are not full penuyos, but...?

Micha Berger                 What you get by achieving your goals
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   is not as important as
Author: Widen Your Tent      what you become by achieving your goals.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF            - Henry David Thoreau