[Avodah] The Delet Hakodesh and Lot

Brent Kaufman cbkaufman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:34:34 PST 2020

Regarding the narrative of Lot, I have 2 questions:

1) the door of Lot’s house is mentioned 3 (THREExxx) times. That in itself
is unusual, but the second time, when Lot is between the mob of thousands
and the door, the mob is pushing soo hard that the Torah tells us that they
were about to break down the door. Anyone have an obvious question?
Before they even get to the door, they would have had to completely crush
Lot to death, but the Torah is more concerned to tell us about the poor
door that almost broke. What’s up with that?

2) Lot offers his daughters to be gang raped and killed by an unimaginable
number of brutal animals rather than hand over his guests, whom he just
met, to the same fate.

That’s not a description of an evil man. Even the worst of the worst
rashayim wouldn’t sacrifice their children to that. This isn’t a portrait
of a bad person, even the most evil of evil. This is a one dimensional
cartoon character that is not even reminiscent of a low-life evil human. A
human, that isn’t mentally damaged, wouldn’t do this.

Nor is this chesed gone bad. Even if he knew, by this time, that they were
malachim, they could have taken care of themselves. Young virgin girls
couldn’t.

Someone (a Rav) once tried to tell me that this was the halachically
preferable decision because giving men over to be raped is a much worse
to’eivah than a rape of a penuya. Those Lot was a tzadik.

If I am ever diagnosed with a brain tumor, it will be because that response
is in my head.

Can anyone help me to understand this?

Chaimbaruch Kaufman

--
*- "When life gives you lemons, shut up and eat your lemons."*